Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Update on Pinocchio Watch & Nygren

I previously criticized Representative Nygren for boasting about how certain school districts benefiting from the "budget repair bill."  I noted that Kaukana and Pewaukee were the only two school districts I could find that benefited from the repair bill, although the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel  reported that 410 of 424 will receive less public aid.  I pointed out that both are school districts from affluent communities.

In the interest of honesty, I have to share that Representative Nygren's latest newsletter now reports that the Marinette school district will also have a balanced budget.  Marinette is by no means an affluent community, so my theory that the richer school districts benefits more has taken a blow, although my point about none of those three school districts dealing with a voucher program like Milwaukee and Racine does still stands.

An earlier newsletter from Nygren also points to a Fox6 report (I have my doubts about anything FOX-related, but I'll give the local station the benefit of doubt) on this topic which seems to confirm his assertion that forcing teachers to contribute to their health care insurance and pension plans costs are a good thing. 

Maybe it is financially for the district, maybe it's "fair." But I know that many, many, many teachers spend their own money on school and classroom supplies without reimbursement from the school district.  Where's the "fairness" on that?  Not many of our employers expect us to spend our own money on job-related duties.  Funny how "fairness" only seems to operate one way.

Update Here with a better picture of what else school districts had to do to make their budgets work.

No comments: