Friday, July 1, 2011

Couples Negotiations-Washington Style

As the debt ceiling looms, both sides are still far apart in negotiating an agreement on raising the debt ceiling.  Keep in mind the debt ceiling isn't for future bills, but for bills already incurred by the United States that will need to be paid.

Some politicans are fond of comparing the federal budget-both the deficit and the national debt-to budgets faced by families.  Running a deficit, or having a debt, they declare, is clearly a sign of irresponsible planning.  Never mind that it's exactly what many households do.  Households take out mortgages, take out car loans, charge stuff to the credit card, use installment plans, etc.

But let's take the negotiations metaphor all the way.

My wife and I have an anniversary coming up in a few months.  She's a vegetarian, while I enjoy a nice juicy steak.  Obviously this presents some difficulties in choosing a restaurant.

Rational negotiations might look something like this:

Mrs. Max:  Honey, you know we have our special anniversary coming up soon, right?
Max Max:  Huh? Already? Uhhh, yes, sure, I knew that.  Where would you like to go for dinner, dear?
Mrs. Max:  How about that new Italian restaurant?  I hear they have a nice eggplant pasta dish.
Max Max:  Let me look at the menu online...sure, they have a fabulous crocodile steak. (I'm more adventuresome in my imagination.)
Mrs. Max:  Good, it's settled.

Easy, right?  Maybe we might go through two or three restaurants before finding the right place that's good for the both of us.

But let's look at it again, copying what's happening in Washington.

Mrs. Max: Honey, you know we have our special anniversary coming up soon, right?
Max Max:  Huh?  Sure, I knew that.  Why don't we go to that House of Prime Rib?
Mrs. Max:  Seriously?  That place is all meat, they don't have anything for me.  How about Olive Garden?  They have some nice meat dishes.
Max Max:  I'll give you my veggies at the House of Prime Rib.
Mrs. Max:  Oh, come on-I'm asking for a nice place for the both of us-maybe something like Applebee's?
Max Max:  No, it's House of Prime Rib or nothing else.

Obviously, I'm going to look like an unreasonable jerk. 

But let's take it a step further.

Mrs. Max : Fine, we'll go to that stupid place.  I'll have a side salad & some steamed veggies.
Max Max:  No, I want to go to Raw Bloody Steaks 'r Us.
Mrs. Max:  What?  But you wanted House moments ago?!?
Max Max:  No, I didn't.
Mrs. Max:  Yes, you did!  Look, here's the texts from you earlier!
Max Max:  Don't believe what I text.

I'm beyond being a jerk, right?

So how is this any better?

No comments: